08 January 2007

Just another day at the office...

Dateline: 8 January A.D. 2007, 17:38, Finger Lakes Region, New York.

I'm sitting in my cubicle, taking a break from working like a dog. This is not what I'd like to be doing on a Monday night. Come to think of it, this is not what I'd like to be doing on any night of the week. I have a meeting at 19:30 tonight, and, rather than driving home and back, I decided to stay here.

The working at night doesn't bother me...as long as it's only once in a while. The problem is that it's been happening more and more often. As I become further entangled in my job, my boss heaps more work on me. To top it off, the organization I work for tried to take away a bunch of my fringe benefits last week. It just amazes me...

>"We're sorry for the inconvenience, but we can't afford to give you as many vacation days as last year."
>"You can't afford to pay me for those vacation days?"
>"No, we just don't have the money."
>"...then how can you afford to pay me FOR working. If you think about it, it costs the same..."
>"Hmm...let me get back to you on that one."

...the end result is that I threatened to quit. Fearful of having to train another employee, the organization agreed that my benefits would remain the same. While everything turned out all right, I never should've had to go through the situation in the first place...

I work for an organization that prides itself on being "progressive." Ironically, the leaders of this organization are elitist politicians. While they consider themselves "liberal," they treat the people who work for them like factory workers during the Industrial Revolution...

No comments: