29 March 2007

More Crocuses!

On Monday, 26 March A.D. 2007, the first of the Crocus chrysanthus 'Blue Pearl' began to bloom. Most of them were blooming by Tuesday, and all them were blooming by Wednesday. The flowers are pretty, but they don't match those of Crocus ancyrensis 'Golden Bunch'.

I'm hoping to get some pictures of the 'Blue Pearl's this afternoon. If all goes according to plan, I'll have them posted sometime tomorrow.

The Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant's are still a few days from blooming. They are quickly gaining in size, and I can't wait for the show!

Weather wise, the days have been consistently warm. I think that snow is gone from our farm, but there was still a little left at my father-in-law's place. (He lives next door) I'm going to say that the last of our snow melted on Monday night. Using that date, the seasonal weather statistics are as follows:

Through 29 March A.D. 2007:

Days with snow cover: 87
Days with complete snow cover: 64
Total snowfall: 47 inches (120 centimeters)
Maximum snow depth: 24 inches (60 centimeters)
Lowest temperature: -2° Fahrenheit (-19° Celsius)

As a side note, our maximum low temperature is usually between -10° and -15° Fahrenheit (-23° to -26° Celsius). My first winter here, I believe that the maximum low was -16° Fahrenheit. Last year I believe that it was -11° Fahrenheit.

No comments: