27 October 2006

A Hard Frost

Winter is on its way. Yesterday, I saw the first snowflakes of the season. This morning, it was 22°F at my farm. The scene was that of a winter wonderland. Everything was covered in a thick white frost, and I couldn't help but to think that this is the most wonderful time of year.

I still have twenty-four tulip bulbs to be planted. Twelve are Tulipa bakeri 'Lilac Wonder', and twelve are a variety of Tulipa clusiana ('Lady'?). In addition, I have dozens of cloves of both 'German Red' and 'Spanish Roja' garlic. Finally, I have fifteen 'Dutch Master' daffodils. I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

In regard to traditional bulbs, I much prefer "botanical" over "garden" varieties. They tend to require little maintenance, naturalize well, and look just as beautiful as their hybridized cousins. I am especially fond of crocuses, particularly Crocus chrysanthus 'Blue Pearl' and Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant'. This autumn, I planted twenty-four corms of Crocus ancyrensis 'Golden Bunch'. Spring will tell whether they deserve mention with 'Blue Pearl' and 'Ruby Giant.'

No comments: