29 May 2007

Rhododendrons

Rhododendrons are among my favorite plants. My love for them can be traced to days spent fishing in Rhododendron-lined creeks in the southern Appalachian Mountains.

There are two Rhododendrons on either side of the front door to our house. One is pink and the other fuschia. Unfortunately, that's all I know about them. ...Well, that's not entirely true. I know that they're both growing in full sun. I know that the pink one is about 6.5 feet (2 meters) tall and 6.5 feet wide. I know that the fuschia one is about 4.0 feet (1.2 meters) tall and 4.0 feet wide. I know that, according to my in-laws, they were both planted "10 or 15 years ago" (translation: 15 to 20 years ago) and that they were both "standard" varieties.

At this point, my best guesses are that the pink one is Rhododendron 'Roseum Elegans' and the fuschia one is Rhododendron 'The General'. Let me emphasize that these are guesses.

If you have any thoughts about what cultivars they could be, I'd love to hear from you.

Rhododendron 'the pink one':






Rhododendron 'the fuschia one':




1 comment:

Gardenista said...

Beautiful plants. I visited England a few years ago and I remember them discussing rhodos on farm land like some kind of overwhelming plague. I suppose they grow TOO easily in their conditions. I only wish I could grow those. I'm still waiting for the first azalea blooms though!