14 May 2007

An unexpected surprise!

"I think that we've seen the last sub-freezing temperatures of the season. "

That was my statement last Monday, after we received what I thought would be our last frost of the year. Ah, but Mother Nature is a sneaky old gal, and she played a trick on all of the early bird gardeners last night. When I checked the thermometer at 06:00 this morning, it was 31° Fahrenheit! I looked outside, and, sure enough, there were patches of frost dotting the landscape. It wasn't a "freeze," but it was frosty enough that the tender annuals were zapped! (Thank god that I'm a procrastinator, our tomatoes were nestled snugly on the sun porch!)

...and now (once again) I can safely say that "we've seen the last sub-freezing temperatures of the season"...I think.

Through 14 May A.D. 2007:

Days with snow cover: 100
Days with complete snow cover: 67
Total snowfall: 59 inches (150 centimeters)
Maximum snow depth: 24 inches (60 centimeters)
Lowest temperature: -2° Fahrenheit (-19° Celsius)
Latest date with complete snow cover: 17 April A.D. 2007
Latest date with any snow cover: 19 April A.D. 2007
Latest date with any snowfall: 17 April A.D. 2007
Latest hard frost: 14 May A.D. 2007
Latest light frost: 14 May A.D. 2007

No comments: