26 October 2007

A BEAR!!!!

I saw a bear today!!!! It was the first time that I have ever seen a bear outside of a campground at a national park! (and those don't count, they're half-domesticated!) It was one the coolest things that I have ever seen.

I was driving home from work when I looked up at the fields on the north side of Interstate-86. I immediately noticed something out of place. Whatever it was, it was big and black. Still, I couldn't think of what it could be. Then, all of a sudden, it moved. At that moment, I realized that it could be a bear. Excited, I continued to stare at the object until it turned broadside and started walking. Euphoric and stunned, I watched the bear until I had driven far enough past that I could no longer see it. I couldn't believe it. Though there are a lot of bears around here, they're not something that people usually see. To be honest, I had never considered that I would ever see one here in New York. ...but today, this glorious day, I not only saw a bear, I got a GREAT look at a bear. To say that I am excited (still now, 8 hours later!) would be an understatement. I called my wife, my father-in-law, and my dad to tell them. Even they couldn't believe my dumb luck. Whatever kind of luck it was, it was a minute of my life that I will never forget...I saw a bear!!!!

No comments: