02 October 2007

Into the clouds...

Note: I wanted to post three more pictures, but, for some reason, I've been unable to upload them for days! I hope you enjoy those that are here.

On A.D. 2007 September 28, I hiked up Mount Mansfield, the highest point in Vermont. It rained at times, which made for a unique hike into the clouds. I believe that it was the fourth time I have hiked to the top of the state. Mount Mansfield reaches an elevation of 1,339 meters (4,393 feet).

I was surprised to see this Grey Squirrel at the very peak of the mountain, some dozens of meters above the treeline!


The peak of Mount Mansfield supports about 100 hectares of alpine tundra.


This is the view looking back toward the summit as we descended.


Lowbush Blueberries were abundant at and above the treeline.


As we descended the mountain, we left the clouds and were blessed with a gorgeous view across Smugglers' Notch.


I wanted to take a picture of Mount Mansfield from a distance. This one was taken on route 104A between Georgia and Fairfax, Vermont. The highest point of Mount Mansfield is the section of mountain brushed with clouds.

No comments: