02 October 2007

Vermont



I went to Vermont this past weekend, and there are three things that I want to talk about:

1. Rosie's Vermont Beef Jerky
2. Second Vermont Republic
3. Rampant Development

Rosie's Vermont Beef Jerky is the second-best jerky that I have ever had. (Garven Store has the best jerky in the world, period.) I always buy some of Rosie's jerky when I go to Vermont. The stuff is simply great. I highly recommend it to all conoisseurs of fine jerky.

The Second Vermont Republic is my kind of political movement. It is paired with Vermont Commons to peacefully advocate for seccession from the United States of America and the establishment of an independent republic. The Middlebury Institute is another fine organization.

Vermont is a really funny place. On one hand, it is populated by proponents of rural living that include New England farmers, hippies, "progressives," and regular-old middle class folks. This is juxtaposed with yuppies and urbanites who have flocked to the state to escape the city. In doing so, they have not only brought high taxes and land prices, they have brought the city as well. I was amazed at how much development is occurring in north-central and north-western Vermont. Three-thousand square foot houses are being built on old farms and formerly wild hillsides. In my opinion, it is killing the character of a truly unique state. If such movements as the Second Vermont Republic are ever to succeed, they need to halt the influx of foreigners as quickly as possible.

No comments: